Research and Advocacy Programmes include:
Good Governance Programme
CVL Good Governance Programme is aimed at strengthening Democracy, Transparency and Accountability at the local, state and federal government levels in Nigeria. The programme focuses on bridging the gap between public office holders, electorates and civil society organisations through town hall meetings, networking sessions, workshops, and civic engagement. Specific objectives include:
- Strengthening the capacity of the electorates and civil society organisations to effectively and collectively demand accountability and transparency from public office holders;
- To establish appropriate mechanism for constructive engagement with policy makers, and ensure inclusive participation of young people in governance;
- Improving local government, states and federal government ministries, departments and agencies’ management practices in order to deliver better quality of services to Nigerian citizens in a transparent, accountable and cost-effective manner.
National Thought Leadership and Think Tank Initiative
CVL National Thought Leadership and Think Tank Initiative is a research based and policy advocacy project with a long-term objective of critically influencing social advocacy and social politics through proven research results, and social thought leadership engagement. Our aim is to consistently use objective, high quality research tools to develop and recommend policies that lead to more equitable, right-based, and prosperous Nigeria. Our specific objectives are to:
- Support a group of promising think tanks and assist them to maintain effective strategies to improve social, economic, and political performance of policymakers, and monitor progress made in that direction.
- Provide a combination of core professionals’ opinion and social/public sector thought leadership collaboration, to further develop capacity of think tanks, both individually and collectively with the ultimate aim of achieving improvements in government performance, research quality, and policy engagement.
- Facilitate and share thought leadership learning, ensuring advocacy strategies for defining, building and managing successful, sustainable national think tanks with a wide range of interested stakeholders with a focus to strengthen policy research and support for national economic, social, and political development in Nigeria.
CVL initiated the Networking Session Series in an effort to contribute to quality discourse and constructive analysis of issues on different topics for national development. This series features one or two experts to direct discussions in a chosen area of focus. It is expected that these discussions will generate a lot of debate that will lead to the strengthening of our policies and institutions.
The first edition of the CVL Networking Session Series was focused on “Index of Economic Freedom and Opportunities for Further Reforms in Nigeria” and was anchored by Prof James Roberts of the Heritage Foundation, a Public Policy Think-Tank in Washington DC and Prof Pat Utomi, Founder/CEO of CVL.
The second edition was on “Entrepreneurship, Technology and Healthcare” and was anchored by Mr. Adekunle Ajiboye, eTechnology Expert from Canada and Prof Pat Utomi, Founder/CEO, CVL